Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Motivation to Homeschool


When I began homeschooling in 1994 with four little ones under age 5, I knew that I was going to be at this for a long time. With each passing day and trial, the potential was there to grow weary and give up. I didn't want to quit. So I prayed and asked the Lord for a vision that would keep me motivated and going strong no matter what was ahead. God did not disappoint. He responded with a word, ART.


Three simple letters because He knew that, as a young mom, that's about all I'd remember. But they were powerful and packed with meaning.


A is for attitude,

R is for relationships

T is for teaching and training


Kept in the proper order, I had a vision for the "work of ART" God was creating in my family. But in the wrong order, they spelled disaster.


As a curriculum junkie, I was tempted to put the Teaching ahead of the attitudes or the relationships. Quickly, I learned that even the best curriculum cannot be taught when my attitude is wrong or when there are conflicts in the home. To put Teaching before Attitude or Relationships would be to create TAR, a sticky mess that would not be easy to work with. So Teaching had to go last.


As a mom, I knew I wanted our home to be an enjoyable one that fostered good relationships, but I didn't want it to be mom-centered or child-centered. I desired a home centered around Christ. If I put the Relationships ahead of a godly attitude, I would end up with a RAT. And Lord knows, I hate RATS!


No, if God promised a work of ART, then it must begin with me and my attitude.

"Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who although he existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant. . . . God is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure. . . . Do all things without grumbling or complaining.

My Attitude must be like Christ. This is all for Him and His good pleasure. As a mom, I live a life of service but do I serve with the right attitude? Christ didn't grumble or complain . . . or quit.

ART has sustained me nearly 20 years and will keep me going strong until my sixth child graduates in 2021.


So if you're looking for motivation for the coming year (or decade), seek the Lord and His word for you. He will not disappoint, and at the end of your journey He will say, "Well done, my good and faithful servant, enter now into the joy of my rest.


Find Spunky on Facebook....SpunkyHomeschool


Subscribe to SpunkyHomeschool by email


1 comment:

Carrie said...

I know this is an old post but it truly spoke to me and I know God led me to your blog today, as a first-time visitor. To read ART is providential timing! What a wonderfully simple but critical path! I love how you eloquently demonstrated that ART in any other order could lead to TAR or RAT. I plan on printing out this beautiful post and pinning it to my dresser mirror! BTW I'm on my 3rd year of home discipling and don't ever want to quit either! Blessings to you!