Monday, September 14, 2009

Why Worry?

"Mom!" My daughter shrieked as she rushed into my room early one spring day. "I've got a problem!"

Barely opening my eyes, I yawned and mumbled, "And what problem would that be?"

"I haven't finished my school work yet, how am I ever going to graduate?" She sighed as she tossed her books across the bed.

"Don't worry." I said. "You've got a few more days to work on it. I'm sure you'll get it all done."

Feeling confident and reassured, my three-year-old gathered up her coloring books and marched off to begin her day.

I laughed as I pondered the silliness of my toddler so worked up about her high school graduation still 15 years off, until I realized that I'm just like her or rather she's just like me.

I wonder and then I worry.

I'd get pregnant and wonder how I'm ever going to get through labor and then I'd worry. I'd deliver another baby and wonder how I'm ever going to handle nursing with a toddler, or two, or three then I'd worry. I'd begin homeschooling and wonder if I'll ever get them to graduation and then I'd worry. And on and on it goes.

But if it's silly for my toddler to wonder and then worry, isn't it just as silly for me?
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." Mathew 6:34

No comments: