Friday, June 05, 2009

Dear Spunky

A few questions from readers in my inbox:
Hello! I am 22 years old and getting married this July! We have been dating since we were 16, so I have gotten very close to his family as well. They are a homeschooled family and there is still a 13 year old in school. Her mother (my future mother-in-law) wants to get a job and pay me to teach the 13 year old, and I think that would be great! But now I'm kind of nervous, I realize her education is in my hands! She is ahead in reading comprehension and history, but far behind in English, math, and science. I was wondering if there are any tips you could give me. I really enjoy your site, so I thought you may have some ideas. I wasn't homeschooled, but I've been doing some research. I'm currently in college, so we will only be able to meet 2 or 3 times a week.
A homeschool mom writes,
Dear Spunky: After 5 years of homeschooling and for a variety of reasons, we have decided to put our two daughters into public school next fall. I always thought we'd homeschool through high school but here we are. The oldest will be entering high school and the other seventh grade. The girls seem to be doing well with the decision, even somewhat excited, a promise of some new clothes does wonders! But I'm a little nervous about the transition and surprised by the different emotions since we made this decision, most notably the feelings of failure and disappointment. If you have any thoughts on making the transition easier for them (or me) please let me know. Thanks Kim.
I'm on my way to sell some materials at a used book sale but if anyone has any advice for these readers, chime in. I'll try and add some thoughts later, but first it's to celebrate National Donut Day.

Subscribe to SpunkyHomeschool by email.

No comments: