Friday, April 17, 2009

Who Knew?

Yesterday, as I was walking up the escalator that still wasn't working, I was thinking of this YouTube and made a slightly snarky comment.    A woman behind recognized me and her husband that I was a "mini celebrity."      Who knew?  But I'll accept it     To me, being a mini-celebrity means that I don't have children out-of-wedlock and I'm still married to my first husband.   

Blogging the convention has been a real treat but the wi-fi in the convention isn't.   Finding the connection seems to require me holding my computer above my head and twirling like a ballerina.   But that makes blogging impossible.    Thankfully, the The Olds Schoolhouse booth seems to be a hot spot, not just for internet but connecting with readers of the magazine and my blog.   

My first workshop was great.   I was able to finally meet Amy Scott of Amy's Humble Musings and quite a few other bloggers from HomeschoolBlogger.com.     It's odd to talk about blogging at a homeschool convention but the highlight of my talk was explaining to a homeschool mom how a blog can help her daughter market her first novel.    She had been told not to start a blog because bloggers are so stressed their dying!    I laughed because I've been blogging for a few years now and I'm still alive and blogging.   But her daughter's done the hard part and website and a blog will now help her organize and market herself and her book.

I'm scheduled to do a second workshop at 1PM, The ART of Homeschooling - Attitude, Relationships, and Training.    I'm looking forward to it.  

In the meantime, I hope to be able to meetup with other bloggers and speakers and let you know what else is going on here .   (As long as my internet connection holds anyway.) 

A few readers emailed and asked if I had any convention tips.   My best advice is wear comfortable shoes and leave your checkbook at home.    But that's just me.    If you have any tips that make a homeschool convention a success for you feel free to share them as well.

No comments: