Thursday, April 23, 2009

The (Depressed) Mothers Act

Our loving and benevolent federal government wants to "help" mothers suffering from post-partum depression. If passed, the Melanie Blocker Stokes MOTHERS Act (H.R. 20) will provide grant money to
"eligible entities for projects for the establishment, operation, and coordination of effective and cost-efficient systems for the delivery of essential services to individuals with a postpartum condition and their families."
Post-partum depression can be a serious issue but is it a federal issue? I don't think so.

If we can't interrogate terror suspects who might bomb our country without violating their rights, what authority does the federal government have to interrogate mothers who have just given birth? And if the government is supposed to stay out of our bedrooms where conception typically occurs, why would they even think of trespassing into our hospital rooms after the delivery? I guess the right to privacy only applies when the mother decides to abort the baby. Those that actually deliver are potentially crazy and in need of "essential services."

I remember the "Are you nuts?" looks I received after giving birth when I told the nurses that I don't use contraception and another baby would be just fine with me. That answer would definitely classify me as a psycho and in need of immediate help to some "eco-friendly" nurses today.

And just what sort of questions are they going to ask anyway? I once took a test to check to see if I was ADD. Guess what? I was. And so was just about every member of my family. So does that mean we all have ADD? No, not by a long shot. But if I wanted it, this diagnosis would allow all sorts of "essential services" (read drugs) designed to help our ADD family courtesy of our benevolent nanny. No thanks.

Dr. Karl Hoffower provides some insight into the real motivation for this bill, "Psychiatry is just looking for a new crop of patients to sell more drugs to." He explains how in his post, Stop the Mothers Act.

The bill is swiftly moving from the House to the Senate. But a vocal group of mothers can let them know that we're not crazy about this bill or their intrusion into our hospital or our lives. Post-partum issues are best handled between the woman and her doctor. Once we let the state into our hospital rooms to interrogate mothers and provide "essential services" the home won't be far behind.

No comments: