Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Beware the Right Wingers

A new report out by the Department of Homeland Security warns about "right wing extremism."

A footnote attached to the report by the Homeland Security Office of Intelligence and Analysis defines “rightwing extremism in the United States” as including not just racist or hate groups, but also groups that reject federal authority in favor of state or local authority.

“It may include groups and individuals that are dedicated to a single-issue, such as opposition to abortion or immigration,” the warning says. (PDF file here)

I guess that would include me and many other homeschoolers (Christian and secular) who reject federal authority in education in favor of local control.

The Tenth Amendment to the Constitution says,

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it ot the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
But why let a little thing like the Constitution get in the way of the hope 'n change we've been waiting for.

But try as they might at intimidating the masses into submission, they will not stop people from voicing their objections to the policies of this administration or any other with name-calling and baseless accusations of terrorist activity.

And to that end, I plan on joining my fellow "right wingers" in a Tea Party tomorrow. (I'll be at the one in Plymouth, MI) and the next day I'll join thousands of other "homeschool extremists" who dare to believe that education is the responsibility of parents not the federal government at that the Midwest Homeschool Convention in Cincinnati, OH. (I'll be giving a few workshops and live blogging too!)

I hope you can join me and let your voice be heard.

Update: Gov. Rick Perry of Texas is declaring his independence from federal intrusion

. 'I believe that our federal government has become oppressive in its size, its intrusion into the lives of our citizens, and its interference with the affairs of our state,” Gov. Perry said. “That is why I am here today to express my unwavering support for efforts all across our country to reaffirm the states’ rights affirmed by the Tenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. I believe that returning to the letter and spirit of the U.S. Constitution and its essential 10th Amendment will free our state from undue regulations, and ultimately strengthen our Union.”
So does this mean he'll stop taking federal money???

Subscribe to SpunkyHomeschool by email.

No comments: