Saturday, February 21, 2009

Have you considered an Apple?

After saving my pennies for many months, I was all set to purchase a new laptop this week. I had pretty much decided on a Dell, it was just a matter of determining which one and from where? So, I went to Best Buy yesterday to look them all over one last time. As I was messing around on a Dell Inspiron, the sales guy helping me asked, "Have you ever considered an Apple?"

I looked up with a blank stare. Did he actually just ask me if I considered an Apple? Didn't he know? But of course, how could he know? To him, I'm just an old bedraggled mom shlepping into his store looking for a laptop so my daughter can play Clifford games all day long and I can store my photos. To him, an Apple was the obvious choice.

Feeling more insecure than I had since first grade when we all lined up to pick sides for kickball, I had a strong urge to flaunt my resume and inform this young geek that I had a degree in computer science from the University of Michigan and used to sell PC's back when he was in preschool and believed apples only grew on trees. I wanted to humble him by letting him know that my commission on a single sale was probably more than his pay check for an entire month! And it wasn't from selling Apples.

That was back in the good ol' days when Reagan was in the White House, IBM ruled the market, making a profit on a sale wasn't considered greedy but a good marketing plan, and no one thought Apple would survive to see the new millenium.

But that was then and this is now.

Barack Obama's in the White House, computers are a commodity, a living wage is a fair wage, and Apple has not only survived but thrived.

Of course, I didn't say any of that lest he think I am looney bedraggled mom. Instead, I obediently followed him over to the Apple counter and allowed him to flaunt all the features of the MacBook. Humbled, I am now facing the very real possibility that a MacBook may be in my future. To make the purchase even more enticing, they even allow homeschoolers in on the educator discount.

And so I turn to you dear reader and ask Mac or Dell, which should it be for me?

Subscribe to SpunkyHomeschool by email.

Have you entered the Homeschool Blogger Contest?

No comments: