Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Got wisdom?

I don't typically make New Year's resolutions; however, this year I made a commitment to be on the computer a lot less. I did not intend to completely eliminate if from my life, but that does seem to be the case lately! We've been busy getting back into the school routine and every time I thought about sitting down at the lap top, someone was usually already sitting there working on their school work. Homeschooling certainly does get in the way of what I want to do some days. but I wouldn't have it any other way. (Hopefully, this will be the year we purchase a second computer.)

For the first time, I have also developed a motto for the new year, "Got wisdom?" Mostly because I have five teenagers who are taking ownership of their faith and learning to walk alone with Christ in a world that rejects Him and His Truth. That takes a whole lot of wisdom for them...and for me.

As the parent of adults, I understand that my role shifts from being their primary teacher to their counselor. That shift doesn't happen overnight. It is a process that happens throughout the adolescent years as the child matures and begins to apply the knowledge they acquired in their early years. It can be a turbulent time that challenges the strength and endurance of any parent. They will make mistakes and so will I.

My eighteen year old son, Jason, described it well recently when he said "Parents are the bungee chord that allows the teenager to bounce around, while still retaining the ability to rein them so they do any long term damage."

Insightful and true. Obviously, the eventual goal is to cut the chord and birth a productive adult who is self-regulated and walking in wisdom.

We've labored and launched one child off into adulthood and soon another will follow. Unlike what many of the parenting books promise, there isn't a formula or a method that works perfectly every time, for every parent and produces perfect children. Perfect parents and perfect children don't exist - not even among homeschoolers and learning to let go isn't easy. But God's wisdom is perfect and able to guide both the parent and the child through the process.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Got wisdom?

(Note: Got wisdom? is the theme of my keynote presentation, Learning to Let Go, for the Say What You Mean convention hosted free online on February 6, 2009.).

No comments: