Thursday, October 02, 2008

The Big Things

Homeschooling has many trials and, if one is patient, many rewards; some of which come at the the most unexpected times.

Yesterday, I took my sixteen year old son to a college fair. There were over 80 colleges and universities represented. We left with a pile of pamphlets, pens, and excellent advice about how best to pursue his interest in transportation design and build a portfolio of his work. It was two hours of time that saved us countless hours of research.

While driving home, my son said, "Mom, I can definitely see how homeschooling has been the best thing for me." I glanced over at hime a bit unbelieving. It was only a few weeks ago that he told me that he and his older brother were dismayed that homeschooling was "limiting" their opportunities in sports.

"Why do you say that?" I asked.

"Now that I'm taking my first college class, I can see that the best thing about homeschooling is that it teaches me to be a self-learner. I realize I can probably teach myself anything if I really want to learn it. "

He seemed to understand a large part of what homeschooling is all about. I wanted to reach over and hug him right there; but I was driving and he is sixteen.

Dana started off the Carnival of Homeschooling, with the quote by Robert Brault, "Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. "

Yesterday was a day filled with a lot of little things, that were really big things. I'm learning to enjoy them all.

No comments: