Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Palin -vs- Obama

Here's an excerpt from Palin's speech tonight answering the charge of inexperience,

"I had the privilege of living most of my life in a small town. I was just your average hockey mom, and signed up for the PTA because I wanted to make my kids’ public education better. When I ran for city council, I didn’t need focus groups and voter profiles because I knew those voters, and knew their families, too. Before I became governor of the great state of Alaska, I was mayor of my hometown. And since our opponents in this presidential election seem to look down on that experience, let me explain to them what the job involves. I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a ‘community organizer,’ except that you have actual responsibilities."

Will this election become a choice between Obama and Palin?

Live streaming of Palin's speech is here.

Here are my thoughts on this convention so far,

I liked Romney's bit about liberal-vs- conservative, but otherwise a forgetable speech.

Huckabee still bugs me as much today as he did during the campaign. But his comment about Palin getting more votes as mayor than Biden got as candidate for President was good.

The Governor of Hawaii needs more practice with a teleprompter. Can we move on now?

Palin's children look cute and awestruck. How long before someone asks about them being up past their bedtime?

I usually read speeches and never watch them, after tonight I know why.

Guilliani wants to know who we want to hire? Can I please have a few more resumes? Great line about Obama voting "present." He needs to stop now before America goes to bed.

Nice shot of Cindy McCain holding Trig Palin. Does Cindy McCain ever have a bad hair day?

Todd Palin sure looks proud of his wife as Guilliani compliments Sarah Palin and becomes a soldier in the Mommy Wars asking "when do they ever ask a man if he has enough time?"

Palin's family is beaming as Sarah lets her hair down and takes the stage.

I enjoyed watching the reactions of her family as they were introduced. Piper is a doll.

"The difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull is lipstick." Great line.

The community organizer line quoted above was well timed and delivered. My daughter just walked into the room and said, "She's a great speaker." I agree.

Forget the mommy wars, Sarah has started a "media war." She doesn't care what they think.

As governor, she drives herself to work, put the jet on e-bay, and fired the chef. I'd have kept the chef.

Bypassing Biden she goes straight for Obama, "He has authored two memoirs, but no major legislation." We'll hear this again. Great use of mockery for the Obama styrofoam convention set going back to a Hollywood studio.

It was a good speech, now it's time for the pundits to tell us why it really wasn't.

I'm not sure the speech will be enough to get me to vote for McCain, but it certainly didn't give me a reason not to.

Here's the best video of the night, Piper Palin licking her hands to slick down baby Trig's hair. You can't stage it any better than this. It's absolutely priceless.

No comments: