Thursday, September 04, 2008

Am I for Sarah Palin?

A reader writes and asks,

"I have only read your blog a handful of times, so I don't really know who you are or what you believe. However, I thought I would look at your blog because in light of this controversial election, I thought I would see what your thoughts were. I can't decide from what I have read what your views are. Are you for Sarah Palin? I am not for her because of the many Biblical principles her life violates (being a wife and a mother). I was just curious how you thought about it. My husband and I are trying to decide if we are even going to vote at all. I look forward to hearing from you."
In answering whether I am for Sarah Palin, let me first state that I am not against Sarah Palin - no matter how I vote on election day. I think she has a great life story and tells it well. I wouldn't make some of the life choices she has made, but the same could be said about a lot of my friends. I'm not against them either.

Two weeks ago, I wasn’t planning on voting for either major candidate. The nomination of Sarah Palin has caused me to take a second look at the Republican ticket. But a look is not a vote, not even close. Palin is the #2 on the ticket, and that says a lot. We’re all excited about the #2, but that does not change a thing about #1.

Remember, when we vote for Palin, we get McCain too.

McCain could have just as easily picked Lieberman or Ridge. And given that he didn’t, both of those men (or others like them) could feature in a McCain presidency. Do you want Ridge to be head of the Department of Health and Human Services? Remember, McCain is the man who signed McCain-Kennedy, McCain-Feingold, and McCain-Lieberman. So as much as I like seeing him partner with a “soul mate” conservative, he’s crossed the aisle to link arms with a few too many Democrats and liberals.

Many Christian conservatives see the biblical woman, Deborah, when they look at Palin. Maybe so. But we must be careful when we look to the Bible for our metaphors; after all, there was another prominent man who betrayed the faithful with a kiss.

By the way it isn't just Republican's for Palin that want to bring biblical metaphors into the campaign. Insulted disciples of Obama want to remind us all that
"Jesus was a Community Organizer, and Pontias Pilate was a Governor."
Enough already!

(Note: I don't plan on live blogging the McCain speech, I'm not sure I'll even watch it. With McCain reading is the same as listening. But if I do watch, I may check in at BlogHer live chat to see what they're saying.)

No comments: