Friday, August 29, 2008

Worth a second look?

Marc Ambinder asks a fundamental question,

"whether undecided women, weakly partisan Democrats, independent suburban women, women between the ages of 30 and 50, will now take a hard second look at John McCain because of his choice of Sarah Palin.

I think they will."

My daughter, a first time voter, is now excited about voting for McCain. She's been coming into the kitchen as I've been staining my table telling me all about Palin; declaring that once I read about her, I'll like her too. She knows me pretty well, so she's probably correct that I'll like Palin. But will it get me to vote for McCain? I'm not so sure, there's only so much a VP can do.

I have to say, on pure political gamesmanship, this announcement was flawlessly done.

The Deputy Headmistress is excited about the pick, but still unsure about McCain.

Barbara Curtis is pumped up for Palin and links to her acceptance speech.

Fromer VP candidate, Geraldine Ferraro, thinks this makes for a very interesting campaign, some Hillary supporters are pretty excited too.

The buzz this is generating is going to create a few headaches for Team Obama who were hoping everyone would be talking about "The One" this long Labor Day weekend. Here's their reaction,
"Today, John McCain put the former mayor of a town of 9,000 with zero foreign policy experience a heartbeat away from the presidency. Governor Palin shares John McCain's commitment to overturning Roe v. Wade, the agenda of Big Oil and continuing George Bush's failed economic policies — that's not the change we need, it's just more of the same."
Does Obama, a former community activist, really want to talk about "zero foreign policy experience?" And what's with highlighting the size of her hometown? Palin is a governor now, with an 80% approval rating. What does Obama have against small-town hard working Americans?

Update: The Draft Sarah Palin for VP blog has some fun reading. Interestingly, the author, Adam Brickley, was homeschooled.

The Chronicle of Higher Education blog, Campaign U. has a look at Palin and Higher Education. The comments are lively.

Victor Davies Hanson provides ten reasons McCain picked Palin.

No comments: