Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Forced to Volunteer?

I wrote a while back about Obama's plan to require middle and high school students to "volunteer" 50 hours a year. Well, Obama hasn't even accepted the nomination and he's already forcing people to work volunteer for him.

The DNC previously announced that they were opening up the convention to the public and offering free tickets to Obama's speech. Nancy Pelosi, convention chair, said, "We are delighted to be able to open the doors of the convention to the public on this historic night," But it was a bait and switch maneuver. It turns out the DNC wasn't really offering tickets for free, they were providing them in exchange for "volunteering" to work for the Obama campaign.
"I got a call that if I want the tickets I have to volunteer two shifts of three hours apiece -- for one ticket. If I want two tickets, then it's four shifts of two hours apiece," said Berenice Christensen.
I guess Michelle Obama was serious in February when she said, "Barack Obama will require you to work." If Obama makes supporters work 6 hours just to hear him speak, I shudder to think what he will require of McCain voters if he actually gets elected! Will Obama make Congress "volunteer" in order to hear him hear him give the State of the Union too? And how many hours did the Germans put in to hear in give his "historic" speech to the citizens of the world?

Team Obama isn't even owning up to their own arrogance. (Not that I expected them to. ) Instead, they are blaming the volunteers and user error!

The Obama campaign insists that volunteering is not a requirement to get a ticket.

They said those who were told they must volunteer must have clicked on the opt-in button for "all-star seating" when they signed up for the tickets. If you click that button, then you are required to volunteer, but you get a better seat.

Nice way to insult your most loyal supporters. But according to one volunteer it's not just the confusion over tickets, the whole Colorado office is in disarray.

Loring Abeyta, from Denver, wrote, "I just read your article... about the confusion regarding tickets to Obama's speech, and the situation is worse than you reported. I went to the Campaign for Change office last Friday evening to earn three hours of credit toward my "All Star Credentials," and it was nothing but confusion. I went to one meeting where I thought I would earn my volunteer credit, and learned that I had gone to the wrong meeting and had not earned credit. When I told the volunteer coordinator how unhappy I was about spending my evening at the campaign office for nothing, she had nothing to say -- not even an apology for the confusion. It is utter disarray in that office and they have alienated me as a volunteer."

Abeyta's letter goes on to say, "The problem got worse today when I got three phone calls from three different people at the Obama campaign office asking me to bring food for the staff. I had signed up to donate snacks, but I didn't realize I was supposed to feed the whole staff. Just thought you'd want to know that the problem goes way beyond just the confusion about the tickets. I have no idea how Obama can win Colorado when the campaign office is such a disaster."

Fundraising must be really off if they make the volunteers feed the staff and bring snacks. How cheap! Where's their compassion for the common working man who puts in an eight hour day and goes straight to the campaign office after work? One supporter fumed, "My whole reason why I'm so mad about it is because Democrats need to act like Democrats...It's not fair. It's elitist. And they need to practice what they're preaching," Silly woman they are! Don't be mad, this is the change Obama wants you to believe in!

If Team Obama can't even be honest to supporters about tickets to a convention, do we really trust him with the country?

But of course the DNC has bigger worries than how poorly they treat their supporters. No, not the Russian invasion. This is even bigger. Apparently, there are not enough limos for attendees to ride around Denver. Just in case you're wondering, a limo gets 13 miles to the gallon in the city. Hey, maybe Obama can force every politician, media starlet, and dignitary to ride around Denver in a Prius or not be allowed into the convention and give free limo rides to the loyal volunteers.

Now that would be a change worth tuning in to watch.

(HT: Michelle Malkin)

No comments: