Monday, August 25, 2008

Do I think I'm always right?

This question typically comes up every once in a while, especially after a tense discussion. Past topics which prompted it were homeschooling, virtual charters, and Huckabee; the trigger this time was Obama and Infanticide. JJ asked in a comment,
"Spunky, are you honestly so self-satisfied you're objectively right in all your extrapolations and assumptions and judgments and condemnations about Barack Obama, and how disgusting/abhorrent he and his beliefs must be? I've wondered that before, reading your blog.
If you visit here, you know you're going to get strong opinions on a variety of topics. And in the event you missed it in my daily briefings, I said it straight up in my bio.
I believe I am totally right about just about everything I believe. Otherwise I wouldn't believe it. And if you think about it...you do too.
I'm confident but not arrogant. I share what I believe and why. So for example, writing about when I believe life begins isn't above my paygrade and if I think leaving babies alone to die is abhorrent, I'll say so. I hope it encourages and challenges people to further thought. Could I possibly be wrong about what I believe? Sure. I expose my beliefs to challenge myself as well. Patrick Henry said,
For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it.

If someone makes a compelling argument, backed by Truth, then I'm willing to examine my own beliefs in light of what they share. It's humbling to admit when I'm wrong, but in the long run I'm better for it. I want to be on the side of Truth, not being right.

I read a variety of blogs. I read the blogs of liberals, conservatives, Catholics, Protestants, Mormons, atheists. They all hold strong opinions and believe they are right. It can be helpful to read well written ideas that present a reasonable argument on a given topic. I don't feel judged by any of them. I read what they have to say to get a different perspective and gain clarity on my thoughts. I don't feel threatened by them. I learn what I can and move on.

Aristotle reportedly said,

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Blogs seem to be one of the few places that people can candidly share what they believe and have others comment without being sanitized by "tolerance." So as long as the conversation remains respectful, I'm going to keep believing I'm right about what I believe and writing about it until someone can show me where I'm wrong. So far with Obama and infants born alive, that hasn't happened.

No comments: