Saturday, August 09, 2008

America is no longer what it once was

In answering a seven year old school girl's question about why he wants to be President, Obama said, "America is ..., uh, is no longer, uh ... what it could be, what it once was. And I say to myself, I don’t want that future for my children."

I'd love to ask Obama at what point in history were we a better nation and when did we fall? What period of greatness is he seeking to restore? At our founding, blacks were slaves. So I doubt that could be what he meant. Or maybe it was when the slaves were liberated, right after the Civil War. But there was still economic disparities, racial tensions, and civil unrest that lasted long into the twentieth century. Perhaps Obama meant when Bill Clinton was in office, before George Bush screwed it all up. But if that were true, then he should have campaigned for Hillary not run against her! It can't even in the last for forty years, because according to Michelle Obama, "For the first time in my adult lifetime, I'm really proud of my country, and not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change."

What model of greatness does the candidate of hope and change want to bring into our future?

No comments: