Monday, June 16, 2008

AWOL Fathers

A few years ago, I posted a small commentary on fathers and asked "Where's Dad?" only to be told by a few that I was "man bashing" because I dared to say that an absent father was a difficult situation for all involved and one which was not unique to just homeschoolers. But alas, I'm not a democrat running for office trying to convince voters that I'm a conservative family man.

Yesterday, in a Fathers Day sermon, presidential candidate Barack Obama had even harsher words to say to fathers, especially black fathers;

"They have abandoned their responsibilities, acting like boys instead of men. And the foundations of our families are weaker because of it,"
and the same folks who were critical of my thoughts praised Obama's speech saying "parenthood is nonpartisan."

I guess parenthood is nonpartisan as long as a Democrat is doing the talking and proposing the typical democrat solutions. I remember 1992 and firestorm that was created when another policitian talked about the "poverty of values" that included unwed mothers and absent fathers. Only this politician happened to be a Republican, and many saw Vice President Dan Quayle's remarks as an intentional slam against blacks and hispanics.

I'm glad Obama recognizes that fathers play a vital role in our society, but I hope that if he makes it into the White House this will translate into responsible policies which don't encourage the very irresponsibility he speaks so strongly against today. I'm not holding my breath. For the sake of the children, the state seems very willing to take on the parents role.

As a side note, does a man with young children have the time to be a responsible father and an effective campaigner for President of the United States?

(See related article, Outsourcing Parenthood.)

No comments: