Monday, October 23, 2006

Desperate Teenagers

Mom and dad, You've given me everything to live life with, but nothing to live life for.

That was a note a young girl left for her parents years ago, right before she committed suicide. Her parents shared their sad story on a radio broadcast years ago. I wasn't even married when I heard them speak, but their powerful message stuck with me.

If I haven't given my children something and Someone to live for beyond themselves, then no matter what material possession we provide or how well educated they are, it will never be enough.

I thought about that as I read about this senseless tragedy.

Our children need strong, loving parents to teach them right from wrong and to guide their heart to the One who will love them unconditionally. Without that, nothing else really matters all that much.

No comments: