Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The Cons of Homeschooling

After reading my post from last January, the Pros and Cons of Homeschooling, Beth left a comment on Monday,

I see everyone's points about the pros, but I think the only people responding are those who homeschool or are at least proponents. I am a high school French teacher and I have yet to see a con listed that states the obvious. Many parents aren't capable of teaching all the subjects necessary for a complete education. Unless the parent is fluent in a foreign language, has a full biology/chemistry/physics lab in their home and has mastered the highest level of calculus, how can the children be prepared for the next level? I understand that elementary school students could benefit, but what happens to the older students who eventually surpass their parents' capabilities? And as for the tests . . . The same applies. A parent may think the child is doing a great job, but there's no way to measure it. One parent's perspective is not necessarily another's.I know you must all be thinking I'm missing the point, but I am a Christian parent who believes in all the same standards as you. The only difference is that I also can see the benefits of all the great knowledge held by competent teachers.
This is a common concern echoed by many in their arguments against homeschooling, so I didn't want to leave it unanswered. However, since my computer has crashed, my ability to answer comments has been limited. If anyone would like to take a shot at answering Beth's concerns please be my guest.

Related Tags: , , , , ,

No comments: