Thursday, September 07, 2006

Some Things Just Defy Logic

A recent conversation with my neighbor, a father of 4 boys.

Neighbor: (In a thick Lebanese accent) "Karen, I just want to let you know you're doing it right."

Me: "Really? And just what am I doing right?"

Neighbor: "The way you're raising your children."

Me: (Surprised because I am a Christian and he is a Muslim.) "Thanks, but your boys are great kids too!"

Neighbor: "Yeah, but I've got a bit of competition in raising mine."

Me: "How so?"

Neighbor: "I've got Mickey Mouse and Sponge Bob on the TV making them stupid. And I've got the schools trying to make them slaves of the state! You don't know how tough it is to do a good job when you have that kind of stuff working against you."

Me: (Secretly wondering if he reads my blog.) "No, you're right I don't know how tough that must be."

I walk away smiling that my neighbor thinks I'm doing okay, but scratching my head wondering why he doesn't just get rid of the TV and the schools, and make his job a whole lot easier.

I gotta admit, figuring out some people is a whole lot tougher than any Sudoku puzzle I've ever done.

Related Tags: , , , , ,

No comments: