Monday, September 18, 2006

A Radical Response to Rosie

I know I'm a little late on this. The blogosphere has been all in a buzz about Rosie O'Donnell's comment on "The View" for a week. (And in blog time that makes it ancient history.) For the few who still may not know, last week Rosie said,

"Radical Christianity is just as threatening as radical Islam in a country like America where we have separation of church and state."
I have been so busy I didn't give it too much thought. That is until I read the the response by Think Christian. James really made me, well, think. Responding to those who are calling for Rosie to apologize he said,

I'm not sure that's the right attitude. Didn't Jesus say, "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." (Matthew 5:11).

So like Baalam's curse of the Israelites turning into a blessing, isn't O'Donnell blessing followers of Jesus and providing a great reward in heaven? The truly "radical Christian" thing to do, might just be to email O'Donnell a thank you note.

Now that would be radical. That's assuming you're a radical Christian and not just a regular Christian, whatever that is? Just who is a radical Christian anyway?

All I know is, that nearly 15 years ago I made the decision to turn off my TV for good. Hearing things like this makes me so glad I did. Does that make me a "radical" Christian?

I still listen to some radio though, and now I can listen to some of my homeschool favorites on the internet at a new site called JoJo Tabares is the guest today. She's also hosting the Carnival of FunSchooling tomorrow.

Related Tags: , , , ,

No comments: