Wednesday, August 30, 2006

This Should Settle It

In my previous post, The Online Charter Homeschool Myth, I stated that state online charter academies are not homeschooling but public schooling at home. A little debate followed with Dan at Cerulean Sanctum whose son is enrolled in the Ohio Virtual Charter Academy and the original catalyst for my post. He ended with the statement,

We're locked in a dogmatic stalemate that resembles the Gordian Knot.
In hindsight, we could have all saved ourselves a lot of trouble by just going to their website to determine what they consider his son. It seems they have a page dispelling a few myths of online charter academies similar to yours, Dan, on homeschooling.

OHVA is a public school that happens to operate within the walls of your own home. As public school students, your children will be expected to spend a certain amount of time each day engaged in schoolwork. (emphasis added).
They wrote it, I just quote it. From the state's perspective Dan your child is a public school student. I hope that settles the issue? After all, it's your curriculum provider and not Spunky saying it this time.

They use a different term to describe what you do, public e-schooling.
Make the move from traditional homeschooling to public e-schooling.
So, unless someone can come up with another term, I think I'll start using that when I talk about public online charter schools.

Related Tags: , , , , , , ,

No comments: