Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Train Up A Child

Yesterday, while I was out pulling weeds, Elaina (2) was riding her little bike. As she was pedaling down the sidewalk she hollered back, "Mom, I need a break, I'm going to Starbucks. I'll be back in a little while."

"Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it." ~ Proverbs 22-6

So in an effort to obey the Scripture, train my daughter, and reinforce the good things she has already learned - I need a break. I'm going to Starbucks. I'll be back in a little while.

In the meantime, the Carnival of Homeschooling is up at Melissa's. There are loads of good posts from many excellent bloggers.

I do have a question as well, if you care to answer. A friend is just beginning to homeschool her oldest child. She's a little nervous. I asked why? She said, "I don't want to fail at this. I want to do it right."

I've been thinking about her answer. Fear of failure keeps many good people from attempting great things, but can a conscientious parent fail at homeschooling? And if so, what does failure look like? Or if you prefer to look at it from the optimists point of view, what does "doing it right" look like?

I hope to add my own thoughts on this later, after the caffeine kicks in.

Photo courtesy of Spunky Jr.

No comments: