Wednesday, June 07, 2006

A Change of Heart

Encouraged by his wife's prayer and persistance, this one time anti-homeschooling pastor decides to take the plunge.

Well, Noah finished school last week at the public elementary here in Milton. It's a good school, with good teachers, and good aids, but we are planning to home-school next year. I've had a few conversations about homeschooling vs. public vs. Christian vs. whatever, and it blows my mind how people love to debate this topic.

Although, if I'm honest, I've come a long way...I use to be pretty anti-homeschool, myself. (snip)

The bottom line: Jenna is very godly wife and an incredible woman, she has been praying about this for quite a while and my heart softened to it over the last year-or-so.

I have quite a few moms who read my blog and would love to homeschool, but their husbands are not quite on board yet. Keep praying. God will make a way. Thankfully, my husband and I were together on this issue before we were married. It is curious to me that most of the time the mother is the first to decide to homeschool. I wonder why that is? Who was the first in your family's decision to homeschool?

He's right about the debate on this topic. The Southern Baptists are gearing up for their convention where the topic will be front center as they debate a resolution calling for an exit strategy from the public schools. (Here's the pro and the con position in their debate.)

And if you missed my exchange with Dr. Tony Beam here are the links in order.

Christians Are Needed in the Public Schools (Dr. Beam)
Another Pastor Speaks Against Homeschooling (My response.)
Dr. Beams Responds
How Should Christians Educate Their Children? (My response.)

and a few other links of interest
What's the Harm?
Why do we Educate? (My thoughts on an "equal education")

Related Tags: , , , , ,

No comments: