Friday, June 09, 2006

Blogging the Bible

What happens when an ignoramus reads the Good Book? That's the question Slate's David Plotz is asking after he picked up a bible for the first time recently.

I have always been a proud Jew, but never a terribly observant one. Several weeks ago, I made a rare visit to synagogue for a cousin's bat mitzvah and, as usual, found myself confused (and bored) by a Hebrew service I couldn't understand. During the second hour of what would be a ceremony of NFL-game-plus-overtime-length, I picked up the Torah in the pew-back, opened it at random, and started reading (the English translation, that is). I was soon engrossed in a story I didn't know, Genesis Chapter 34....

So, the tale of Dinah unsettled me, to say the least. If this story was strutting cheerfully through the back half of Genesis, what else had I forgotten or never learned? I decided I would, for the first time as an adult, read the Bible. And I would blog about it as I went along...

My goal is pretty simple. I want to find out what happens when an ignorant person actually reads the book on which his religion is based.

I admire his honesty and willingness to dig in and learn about the Bible. Many say they don't believe the Bible but have never actually read it. Currently, he's up to the book of Exodus.

Our family is reading through the bible. We're about ready to finish the New Testament for the second time. We haven't made it throught the Old Testament completely. I know there are guides to read through the bible in a year, but we're not taking it that fast.We're at Psalm 119. We try to read a little of both every night. Hopefully we'll finish before someone decides to move out!

Have you read through the bible as a family? How long did it take? We are also about to begin a family study on the basic Truths of Christianity. We'll all inividually work through the book each day. Then, once a week, we'll get together and discuss what we've learned.

What Bible study helps have worked for your family?

Related Tags: , , , , ,

No comments: