Wednesday, May 31, 2006

"Stop Judging Me!"

I've been hearing that a lot lately. So, I have to say this, just for the record if nothing else.

I have strong opinions and convictions about education. Surprise! Surprise! And here's another news bulletin: I use my blog to share them. However, I'm not looking to convince anyone else to homeschool because of what I believe. Nor do I judge family for the choices they make. But I have to ask; why is it that someone with strong convictions cannot share them without others feeling judged? When did strong opinions become illegal and banned from public discourse? If you disagree with me, I'm okay with that. I have read over my past posts. I have never said "You must blah blah blah..." or "You're going to hell if you blah blah blah...."

I hope we can have a discussion about one of the most important decisions a family will make without accusing someone of "judging" the other. I don't make anyone read my blog. If you visit here, you know you're going to get strong opinions. And in the event you missed it in my daily briefings, I said it straight up in my bio.
I believe I am totally right about just about everything I believe. Otherwise I wouldn't believe it. And if you think about it...you do too.
I'm confident but not arrogant. I share what I believe and why. I hope it encourages and challenges people to further thought. Could I possibly be wrong about what I believe? Sure. I expose my beliefs to challenge myself as well. Patrick Henry said,
For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it.
If someone makes a compelling argument, backed by Truth, then I'm willing to examine my own beliefs in light of what they share. It's humbling to admit when I'm wrong, but in the long run I'm better for it. I want to be on the side of Truth, not being right.

I also read a variety of blogs. I read the blogs of those that believe in public education with their whole heart. I read the blogs of liberals, conservatives, Catholics, Protestants, Mormons, atheists, and even a few morons. (No Daryl, that last one wasn't a reference to you!) They all hold strong opinions. It can be helpful to read well written ideas that present a reasonable argument on a given topic. I don't feel judged by any of them. I read what they have to say to get a different perspective and gain clarity on my thoughts. I don't feel threatened by them. I learn what I can and move on.

Aristotle said,
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Blogs seem to be one of the few places that people can candidly share what they believe without being sanitized by "tolerance". But for that to continue, we need to accept that we're not always going to agree on every issue. I hope that we can have mature discusssions and not cry foul or demand retractions simply because someone holds a strong opinion.

By the way, this post isn't directed at anyone in particular. But it's been building in me for quite sometime and I needed to finally get it out.

Thanks for listening.

Related Tags: , , , , , ,

No comments: