Monday, May 01, 2006

Are public schools fixable?

That's one of the questions Henry Cate asked Research Director of NHELD Judy Alron. She said, "Yes" and then proposed some drastic changes that would need to be made. She summarized with the statement,
Basically I believe in parental control and responsibility and a policy of no government interference in education. If I had my way, we'd abolish the Federal department of Education all together and the State Department of Education would have nothing at all to do with children who are not enrolled in their public school. I could say more, but I think you get my drift here.
I'm with her on the "no government interference in education". Ending compulsory education indoctrination would be my first suggestion.

So I'm just wondering what others are thinking. Are public schools fixable? And if so what needs to be done?

Part of my motivation for asking is I had a conversation recently with someone who believes that if all the "good" kids leave public schools then that leaves the "bad" kids to deal with the mess. We should stay and be a part of the solution by leaving we're creating more problems.

No comments: