Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Walk By Faith Not By Sight

Some may trust in horses, some in chariots, but in Detroit we trust in the automobile. At least at one time we did. Working for the "Big Three" meant job security and benefits for life. That was the conventional wisdom growing up in the auto capital of the world. So when my husband came home seven years ago and said, "I'm done with GM." My heart skipped a beat. People didn't leave the auto company they retired, collected a pension, and moved to Florida. But to leave voluntarily, that was thought to be, well, "dumb". I remember thinking two thoughts, "INSTABILITY and INSECURITY". Both begin with the BIG "I".

But when I married, life no longer was just about me. I promised to follow my husband and that meant follow his dream of starting his own company. So I smiled and said, "Sure honey what an adventure! This will be fun!" Okay it probably didn't sound so exuberant at the time but I knew I didn't want the title of a dream stealer added to my resume. So I bit hard and went along. It hasn't been an easy road but not entirely unpleasant either. But little could I have known that seven years later GM would be near bankruptcy. And today I read that the division he worked for, GMAC was sold off. Who knew that leaving was actually a more stable and secure position than staying?

God did.
No eye has seen nor ear heard neither has it entered the heart of man what God has prepared for those who love him who are called according to his purposes. - 1 Corinthians 2:9
The decision to homeschool is similar. We've all been taught to look before we leap. It often seems more secure to stay with what is known and stable than jump into the unknown. Who knows what can happen?

God does.
We walk by faith, not by sight. - 2 Corinthians 5:7
Related Tags: , , , , , ,

No comments: