Saturday, April 22, 2006

I'm a Disinhibitionist....

...and if you're a blogger you are too!

Daniel Henninger of the Wall Street Journal editorial page, opines that bloggers are contributing to the slide toward more open "wierdness" and "disinhibition" in our society. And even worse this wierdness is spreading like "crabgrass".

[I]t looks to me as if the world of blogs may be filling up with people who for the previous 200 millennia of human existence kept their weird thoughts more or less to themselves. Now, they don't have to. They've got the Web. Now they can share. (snip)

But there is one more personality trait common to the blogosphere that, like crabgrass, may be spreading to touch and cover everything. It's called disinhibition. Briefly, disinhibition is what the world would look like if everyone behaved like Jerry Lewis or Paris Hilton or we all lived in South Park.

There's even new clinical psychological terms to describe some patterns of behavior,

As described by psychologist John Suler, there's dissociative anonymity (You don't know me); solipsistic introjection (It's all in my head); and dissociative imagination (It's just a game). This is all known as digital identity, and it sounds perfectly plausible to me.
So bloggers are disinhibited wierdos mired in dissociative anonymity. And the blogosphere is really just a solipsistic introjection. But I'm not too worried since this is all a part of my digital identity. Spunky's just a figment of my dissociative imagination and I'm not really here. Really. And if you believe that I am, you're suffering from dissociative anonymity too! It all sounds perfectly plausible to me.

There is one silver lining. If anyone threatens to sue for what I've written, I can just claim I'm mentally ill and therefore cannot be held responsible for anything I say or do.

Oh and by the way, please excuse my absence for the rest of the day. It's been unseasonably warm here and I have to go out and water my crabgrass. This is the best crop I've had in years.

Related Tags: , , , , ,

Monday AM: Blogger is giving me fits today. Hopefully it will work soon.

No comments: