Monday, March 13, 2006

The Money Camp

While perusing my normal homeschool news, I came upon a news release announcing a new homeschool curriculum and website called Money Camp. Always interested to learn about new things for homeschoolers, I clicked over to learn more. The goal is to teach children and their parents about money. That's something my husband and I are always interested in learning more about. I was intrigued until I read this,

The Money Camp began as an inspiration by Elisabeth Donati when she read Robert Kiyosaki's book, "Rich Dad, Poor Dad".

(And from the adult portion of the website.)

We then look at how to classify 'how' you make or earn your money based on Robert Kiyosaki's Cash Flow Quadrant.

My husband just finished a three part series critiquing the book Rich Dad Poor Dad. Many (but not all) homeschool seminars on entrepreneurship are based heavily on his teaching. (Co-author Sharon Lechter teaches at quite a few.) It looks like Money Camp may be the latest to join the mix. It's too bad. There is a real need out there for good teaching on this subject. However, Kiyosaki isn't a man I would look to in teaching my children about money or anything else for that matter.

In another post, "Too Good to be true?" Steve has also outlined key questions to help you discern the claims of seminar speakers and others before paying to listen to them or buying their expensive materials.

Every parent wants their children to know about money and the goal of starting your own business is great. But some are just attempting to cash in on the lucrative homeschool curriculum market while offering little of substance. (Makes you wonder how good their investment strategies really are.) Buyer beware. All that glitters is not gold.

Related Tags: , , , , , ,

No comments: