Wednesday, February 08, 2006

When Homeschoolers Grow Up

WorldNetDaily had an exclusive commentary by Samuel Blumenfeld that presented some idea of where homeschoolers have gone once they move out on their own.

Parents interested in homeschooling often want to know what will happen to their children when they grow up and have to work for a living. Will employers
recognize their homespun high-school diplomas signed by Mom and Dad and the local homeschool association? Will corporate America welcome them as competent "human resources"? Will the Army, Navy, Marines and Air Force accept them? All legitimate questions which deserve to be answered.
To find out click here.

By the way, Dr. Blumenfeld's book, How to Tutor, was the first book I read on homeschooling. I'm not even sure how I acquired it. I also used his book AlphaPhonics (still only $29.95) to teach my children to read. I have a great deal of respect for Mr. Blumenfeld and his work. Unfortunately, my favorite book of his NEA, The Trojan Horse in American Education is out of print.

It has been over twenty years since I read that. Now my own daughter is nearly graduating. Where did all the years go? Thankfully, I still have one who can't even read yet. So my well worn AlphaPhonics will be pulled out once again. This time, I'm going to have my younger girls use it to teach their little sister. The circle of life and homeschooling continues.

If God allows, I will homeschool for nearly 40 years. Wasn't that how long Moses was in the desert before he saw the promised land? Thankfully, my experience has not been a journey in the wilderness.

What was the first book you read on homeschooling?

(HT: Homeschool Buzz)

Related Tags: , , , , ,

No comments: