Saturday, February 18, 2006

A birthday wish, so what's next?

Happy Birthday to Spunky Jr.
My first blessing, Kristin, is 17 today. I am thankful for a daughter who loves the Lord and loves me. (Despite the fact that as a first born, she has been the guinea pig for everything.) If you have a minute stop on over and wish her a blessed day.

The question often asked of Kristin is, "What are your plans for the future?" And "Where are you going to college?" Thankfully we don't have a lot of pressure in our immediate family for Kristin to move out and move on.

I wrote a post a while back about whether or not Kristin is college bound.

Spunky Jr. also linked to an article written by a sixteen year old homeschooled girl who's skeptical of college.
Being home-schooled has its advantages, and the ability to graduate early with a GED is one of them. I recently took and passed this test, graduating early at 16. However, instead of alleviating stress, my graduation has generated a whole new question that is more irritating than the others I have always received about home-schooling. "What college are you going to?" It appears that everyone has the irreplaceable idea that I must go to college.
Laurie Bluedorn also added a few thoughts a while back that suggested that just because someone doesn't go to college; it doesn't mean they stop their education.
I think we have equated going to college with getting an education. I firmly believe that girls need to get an education (beyond learning the basics of housekeeping). Girls need to be educated just as much as do boys, though the education of girls can often take different directions than the education of boys. After all, it is our girls who will be educating the next generation of homeschoolers.
Laurie's daughter is already educating the next generation even though she's not even a mom.

Carmen at Buried Treasure stirred the pot a little with her thoughts on women and college too.

Related Tags: , , , , ,

No comments: