Tuesday, January 17, 2006

What are you reading?

Palm Tree Pundit has started her 2006 book list. Gena (TOS Publisher) commented that since she spends so much time online she doesn't read a book nearly as much as she used to. I still do. Although, when I first started blogging it did decrease for a little while. I make it a point to still read good books.

I divide my book reading into three categories; Inspiration, Information, and Vegetation. I usually have one of each going. Depending on my mood that's how I decide what to read. We usually have a family read aloud going as well.

Inspiration: Those are books that challenge me to think about my life and walk with God. The best ones convict me and inspire me at the same time. Right now I am reading The Disciplined Life by Richard Taylor. It is my annual read.

Information: These are books for learning about new topics or subjects. On Writing Well by Zinsser is my current read in this category.

Vegetation: This is a book for sheer pleasure and fun. I don't have one in this category at the present time. I guess this may be where my blogging as taken over. Any recommendations?

Family Read Aloud: The Red Pony by John Steinbeck.

What the Spunkettes are reading: My children are moving into World War II. So most of their reading is centered around that time period. The younger girls are also reading many historical diaries. The older ones are finishing Babbitt and will begin To Kill a Mockingbird. The boys are also reading the Left Behind Series.

The General of Spunky Homeschool (aka Steve) is reading a biography called General John Brown Gordon, Soldier, Southerner, American. He was a southern officer during the Civil War. (My husband was definitely born at the wrong time.)

And if what we're reading bores you all together then here's what constitutional scholar Robert Bork recommends as his five best books on the Constitution. His own book "A Country I Do Not Recognize: The Legal Assault on American Values" (Hoover, 2005) sounds pretty interesting too.

But if you're like Gena and want to do all your reading online, check out this week's Carnival of Homeschooling. Henry Cate has the ABC's of Homeschooling all ready to go.

Update: Read this post from Dominion Family on the importance of reading.

No comments: