Friday, January 27, 2006

Odds and Ends Before I Go

Gatto in Grand Rapids
I'm leaving after lunch to go to Grand Rapids, MI for the Mid-Winter Home Educator's Conference. This is a smaller conference and not nearly as frenetic as the bigger conventions. John Taylor Gatto and Rob Shearer are both giving talks. The Deputy Headmistress of the Common Room is going to be there. Sallie from Two Talent Living is also nearby. I hope to get a chance to meet up with them. This conference is a great way to beat back the blahs of winter. I'll be back Saturday night.

Here are a few other odds and ends to think about....

This isn't my goal. Is it yours?
Governor Granholm gave the State of the State address Wednesday night. Here's her stated goal for education,
First, we must make sure that every parent who’s watching tonight can afford to send their children to college. To achieve our goal of a workforce that's second to none, we must be first when it comes to giving citizens access to higher education.
A "workforce second to none" is NOT why I educate my children. I'm sure I'll have more to say on that topic when I return.

Blooks
If your expertise isn't high school that doesn't mean you can't be in a book. You can publish one of your own. There is actually a way you can turn your blog into a book. They call them "blooks". Lulu is a site to help you if you're interested in learning more. I have seen a few homeschoolers use this service to publish curriculum as well.

The Old Schoolhouse Magazine
If e-books and blooks are too high tech for you then check out the winter issue of The Old Schoolhouse Magazine. It should be arriving in mailboxes soon. I have two articles in this issue. Successful Bloggers and Homeschoolers and an article featuring HomeschoolBlogger.com bloggers: Karen at Wired Wisdom. , Ann at Holy Experience, Cindy Downes, Patricia Hunter, Jane Bulivant, Shiela Lange, and Donna Booshay. They are all excellent bloggers with something to say. I'm excited to be able to introduce them to a wider audience of homeschoolers who may not even know what a blog is yet.

There's also an article by Bruce Shortt author of the book The Harsh Truths of the Public Schools. This issue also contains loads of information on the subject of writing. Including an article by Herb Meyers author of the book How to Write. I am currently having my 15 year old son read his e-book which you can download for only $1.99. (Note: He doesn't pay me to say that. )

HomeschoolBlogger.com News
Don't miss this week's featured blogger, ChefMommy. It's a new blog for exchanging recipes. Great idea. I hope it takes off. Now if they can come up with a way to get if from screen to the oven I'd be in blogging heaven.

Vigilante Dad
David Swafford, an irate father, punched a teacher's assistant for allegedly inappropriately touching his 15 year old daughter. The father had this to say,

"I'm not real proud of what I did," [said Swafford] "You have to protect your children, and my daughter does not lie to me."

"If some other parents would do this, maybe some of these pedophiles would crawl back under rocks where they belong,''

Punching wasn't the best response but honestly can you blame him? The teacher was still in the classroom despite the allegation. What would you do? (Update: Turns out the daughter may be totally accurate in her story. Thanks to BlestWithSons for the heads up.)

Update on the Vermont Judge
Do you remember the Vermont judge who gave a 60-day sentence to a man who repeatedly molested a seven year old girl? Well he's since changed his mind on the sentencing. .He now says he will increase the sentence to at least three years. With dumb decisions like this is it any wonder why fathers like Mr. Swafford decide to take matters into their own hands?

Super Bowl XL
If you read that and thought of a large bowl suitable for munching popcorn then you probably don't live near Detroit or follow pro football. Detroit's gone crazy for football. But you can't really blame us there hasn't been a serious pro football game in Detroit for a long time. Needless to say I won't be watching. But it is fun to watch the politicians spruce the place up for the company. Our highways have never been this clean. Unfortunately, the real mess in this state isn't the highways.

Related Tags: , , , , , ,

No comments: