Monday, November 28, 2005

Open Blog Friday III

Blog Awards

I haven't done an Open Blog Friday in a couple weeks. This is where you are free to let me know what you're blogging about or comment about anything. In good taste please.

Homeschooling Blog Awards

We're getting a great number of entries in the Homeschool Blog Awards. There are so many great blogs that have been nominated. Some I've never been to before. Keep them coming and thanks to all who are helping to spread the word.

Oh Holiday Tree, Oh Holiday Tree...

How politically correct are you. Okay enough of the Christmas er I mean Holiday cheer. Boltabe asked in a comment if I knew anything about the Christmas boycott of retailers who were refusing to use the word Christmas at their stores. And some stores refusing to even call the 6 foot tree we all decorate a "Christmas Tree". Here's the story from the American Family Association. And they posted an update here on Lowe's removing banners that say Holiday Tree and replacing them.

How to Read a Book

No this is not a new phonics program. It's an excellent book by Moritmer Adler and Charles Van Doren. I found it while cruising Ambleside Online. (Free online homeschool curriculum.) Everyone who ever thought they were well read should read this book. You may find out that that you're really what Alexander Pope called a "Bookful Blockhead." If you found that term insulting then you may find the Greek's term for you a little more palatable - "sophomore". That's what they called those that were widely read but not well-read. But let's not get bogged down in labels, just read the book How to Read a Book and finally begin the education you should have had a long time ago. This book will be required reading for all my children.

Photo of the Week

I love taking pictures. Maybe one day I'll be able to afford a digital camera of my own but in the mean time I loved this photo over at Bi0lumescence. If only I could get my own children to sit so nicely for their annual Christmas photo.

Quote of the Week

There are no boring subjects only disinterested minds - G.K. Chesterton in the Heretic.

Use that the next time your child says that something is boring.

No comments: