Monday, October 03, 2005

Time to Share

"Mom, can I have a bowl of chips?" Joshua asked as he was roaming around the kitchen looking for more food during a family gathering.

"Sure, but you have to share them with your brother." I replied.

"Yeah, I'll share half with him.".

"Wait a minute Josh, is that really sharing?

"Sure, I get half and he get's half. That sounds fair to me."

"It may be fair but I'd think a little bit more about this if I were you."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, if you were locked out of the house and I gave you half a key. That would be fair but would I really be sharing and doing the best thing for you?"


"If Jesus hung on the cross but when he was near death, he said, 'Okay I've gone half way now it's someone else's turn.' Would that have been a sharing heart?"

"No. But mom it's only a bowl of chips. What's wrong with half?"

"If you go out and give half to your brother. You will be consumed with getting your half and being fair. Always watching to make sure he doesn't get more than you. You won't really enjoy the chips as much as you would if you were willing to offer him the whole bowl."

"You mean walk out and offer him the bowl of chips."

"Yeah, that's what I mean."

"But then I won't get any. He'll eat them all. "

"Maybe but that's okay. The important thing is to think of your brother before yourself."

"Well, who's thinking of me then? He (Jason) won't be that's for sure."

"Let God take care of that, you'll get all you need."

"Whatever. Can I take the chips now."

(Josh a little while later comes back into the kitchen.)

"Mom, you wouldn't believe it. I offered him the whole bowl. He took a handful and then walked away, he said he was done. and that I could have the rest. I got to eat the whole bowl."

Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." - Luke 6:38 (NIV)

No comments: