Monday, September 26, 2005


I have had a series of interruptions lately. I've had a cold, Spunky Jr. had a hip injury that has made my "executive assistant" of Spunky Homeschool unavailable. And then there are a few other things that have distracted my attention and time from the normal routine. Some of them simple to solve others more long term. Sigh!

This is the inevitable life of a homeschooler. We don't live in a vacumn where life is santized and we are free to concentrate one one thing or subject for extended periods of time. Unlike a classroom in a government run school, when a homeschooling parent is called away there is no substitute. When a child is ill, there is no keeping them home so the others can continue without them. These are small interruptions that may create havoc for a day or two but there are other interruptions like a birth or death that create long term changes in the routine. Adjustments need to be made otherwise the household will suffer and so will the learning. I used to resent these interruptions and get frustrated because they ruined my agenda. But then a few years ago I happened upon this quote and my whole perspective was turned around.

I think I find most help in trying to look on all the interruptions and hindrances to work that one has planned out for oneself as discipline, trials sent by God to help one against getting selfish over one's work. Then one can feel that perhaps one's true work - one's work for God - consists in doing some trifling haphazard thing that has been thrown into one's day. It is not a waste of time, as one is tempted to think, it is the most imortant part of the work of the day - the part one can best offer to God. After such a hindrance, do not rush after the planned work, trust that the time to finish it will be given sometime, and keep a quiet heart about it.

Annie Keary 1825-1879

It is my desire that I never get to the point where I think that homeschooling is about me or about the children. Interruptions are one of the tools God uses to humble me and make me realize who is really in charge and who this is all for.

No comments: