Sunday, September 04, 2005

An Evacuation Plan

If a picture is worth a thousand words, how many lives is a bus worth?


I'm sure alot of people are going to be wondering why they never used these. Here's an excerpt from the disaster relief plan courtesy of The Drudge Report.

Louisiana disaster plan, pg 13, para 5 , dated 01/00'

The primary means of hurricane evacuation will be personal vehicles. School and municipal buses, government-owned vehicles and vehicles provided by volunteer agencies may be used to provide transportation for individuals who lack transportation and require assistance in evacuating'...

And here's a quote from a blogger who is providing eye-witness and up-to-date info and sums up alot of what I've been thinking.
I'm sure there's been human error in this catastrophe. How could there not be? But what I'm saying is that I've come to expect poor decision making and a total lack of initiative from government. They can't even balance a budget, at the federal, state, or local levels. I could balance my checkbook and spend within my means when I was a teenager. But I'm not gonna point fingers and get into the blame game. If you want me to blame something besides the storm herself, I blame the nature of government in the first place. It's too big, it's too slow, it's too inefficient, it's too bloated, and it's too intiative-stifling to be effective in normal circumstances, much less in a disaster. It's a systemic issue, more than an issue of individual people in government.

No comments: