Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Wake Up NEA

The NEA wants to send Walmart back to school with a campaign called Wake Up Walmart. And encourages parents to boycott Walmart this year.

Think you just got a bargain on those rolled back prices? Think again. You may have just helped break unions and dismantle public schools.

The company has drained billions from public coffers — money that could otherwise fund schools. And the Walton family, multi-billionaires thanks to Wal-Mart and Sam's Club profits, contribute heavily to anti-public education efforts like private school voucher initiatives and anti-public educations PACs.

Couldn't the same be said about the money spent on this campaign? Shouldn't it be going to educate the children? Oops! I forgot, we're not supposed to question the teachers.

Well I'd like to start a counter campaign and call it Wake Up NEA. They are not your children. I am pro-choice in the education of my children. I believe I am free to choose where my children go to school AND where I buy their school supplies.

I hope you will join me in this campaign and buy your school supplies at Walmart this year.

YOU are in charge of your children's education NOT the NEA.

Here's an editorial in the Boston Globe written by a homeschool graduate who sees things the same way.

Update: Homeschooler Agent Tim has started a blog called Wake Up the NEA that is for the purpose of encouraging support of Walmart.

Wake up the NEA!

No comments: