Thursday, August 18, 2005

To Homeschool or Not to Homeschool

That was this mother's dilemma. Here's her reasons for homeschooling

If it were up to me, schools would take their biggest break from Thanksgiving to New Year's. Takes in lots of holidays and saves on snow days.Then we'll take the rest of the time off and scatter it throughout the year. Hmmm, let's say a week for President's Day, Easter, Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day and Halloween.

But alas, few schools have adopted my brilliant flexible-schedule strategy. Looks like the only way I'll get to pick my own schedule for my kids is if I home-school them.

But there are the reasons she could never do it.

When I think of what I had to go through last year just to get my son to do his first-grade homework...if I actually had to get him to do ALL his schoolwork, he (and his siblings) would be illiterate.

Anyway, I just don't have the stamina for it. As much as I love my kids, I could not handle being with them 24/7/365. I need a little breathing room, and so do they. That must be the real reason our forefathers made schooling mandatory - not to make sure the kids were educated, but to get them out of their mothers' hair for a little while.

First grade homework? That alone would make me WANT to homeschool. If someone had my children for 7 hours a day and couldn't get it all done... I'd be looking for the exit real fast. No one has my child that long and then assumes they can take up what precious little they leave to me. But then again, this mother does admit that the children are not there to be educated anyway.

Hat tip: Daryl at Home Ed & Other Stuff

No comments: