Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Principles of Blogging

I have written about why I started my blog. And I've also blogged about discovering my "blogging voice", but now I'd like to talk about my attitude and principles when I blog.

I try to keep these principles in mind as I blog each day.

God is bigger than the blogosphere.
It's no great revelation that what's going on in the blogs is only temporary. Yes, God is able to use blogging but this is not the end of HIS work. It is another step in the journey. Gutenburg's printing press was revolutionary and changed the course of history but it was not the end. The same is true of blogging. (And probably less significant than Gutenburg.)

In the absence of biblical convictions you will go the way of culture. Sally Clarkson
This is a principle I apply to all areas of my life. It is easy to be swayed by the blog culture and hot topics. But not all that is bloggable is biblical. I don't want to establish what I believe based solely on the beliefs of an eloquent blogger. If someone can talk me into something, someone else might be able to talk me out of it. Scriptures says, "Study to show yourself approved unto God a workman that needeth not be ashamed rightly dividing the word of truth." 2 Timothy 2:15.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. Aristotle
I read a variety of blogs. Some I have absolutely nothing in common with and others that are directly opposite my views. But I read what they have to say to get a different perspective and gain clarity on my thoughts. I don't feel compelled to accept every idea that's out there. However, it can be helpful to read well written ideas that present a reasonable argument on a given topic. I don't feel threatened by them. I learn what I can and move on.

Let another praise you and not your own lips. Proverbs 27:2
It is easy to get caught up in the glitz of blogging and the clamor for attention. Who wouldn't want to achieve mortal human status? We all want our "15 minutes of fame" and blogging can do some of that. But when I seek noteriety, it usually backfires and I get noticed for all the wrong reasons. I hope that if someone links to me it is because they like what I have written. It's exciting to be noticed but it's alot more gratifying to receive unsolicited encouragement from someone who was helped or encouraged by something I wrote.

These are the principles I have established for my daily blogging activity. It helps guide what I write about and keep my attitude focused when I am in the blogosphere.

No comments: