Tuesday, August 02, 2005

The Master's Schedule

The mind of man plans his way, But the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9

Yesterday I posted about building a schedule for the fall. Schedules are necessary and helpful. But equally necessary is keeping in mind who owns the schedule.

Back in the fall of 2000, I had prepared our family schedule and we were busy trying to get into a routine. After about a month of working at it, things started to come together. The children were getting back into some neglected habits and things were going pretty well.

It was at that time that my husband decided it was time to take a trip to visit his grandfather in southern Ohio. Grandpa was a lively 97 year old who lived alone and always appreciated company. I hated the thought of taking a break when things were just starting to go well but he seemed determined to go.

So with a little reluctance on my part, the schedule was modified. I changed gears from school to preparing and packing. It was only going to be for a long weekend. But with 5 children (Elaina wasn't around yet.) even short trips take some time.

So off we went to Marietta, OH. The fall colors were changing and the weather was perfect. We had a wonderful time. As we were getting ready to leave, we had one final conversation with grandpa. The topic was Christianity. The childen played around the antique furniture as Steve shared from the bible the truth of salvation. The conversation was not combative but friendly. He had heard it all before and was convinced that his goodness alone qualified him.

Grandpa had lived a full and eventful life but had never made a commitment to serve Jesus. His parting words were, "If I ever decide to follow Christ, I'll make sure to call and let you know."

We drove away with Grandpa smiling and waving from the rose covered porch.

The following week after the trip however, my son came to us after everyone was tucked into bed. "Daddy, when you were sharing with grandpa, God was speaking to me. I want to know Jesus. " We prayed and thanked the Lord that my son was attentive to his father's words and obedient to his Heavenly Father.

We still don't know if grandpa ever gave his heart to Christ. He died a few weeks later.

A trip wasn't in my "master plan" for the fall but it was in "The Master Plan". And in the end that's the only one that counts.

No comments: