Sunday, August 28, 2005

The Goal of Education

I posted a few days ago, "Why Do We Educate". Here is a short maxim that I often repeat to myself to keep that goal in mind.

Don't sacrifice Heaven for Harvard.
It's easy to get caught up in the academics and sacrifice the relationship and time with God. We all want our children to succeed. The bar of academic achievement is set very high for homeschoolers. They are expected to be near genius and anything short of that is often viewed as failure. Many quit homeschooling because this self-imposed pressure is just too great. That is unfortunate. I've been homeschooling long enough to see many chilren who are "academically successful" surrender their moral and spititual convictions as they move into adulthood.

I pray that I never place academics on such a high pedestal that my children no longer see the Author of the knowledge. Harvard is nice but Heaven is where I'm aiming.

No comments: