Monday, July 11, 2005

From Honeymoons to Happy Homes

"Honey, what are you doing?" I inquired of my new husband shortly after our honeymoon.

"Making the bed." He replied matter of factly.

"But I just made it a few minutes ago."

"Yeah, but there was a crease from the mattress pad that was bugging me and I wanted to fix it. But instead of complaining about how you did. I thought I would just fix it myself."

Clearly, the honeymoon hadn't ended. I had one terrific husband and I wanted to do everything I could to keep the honeymoon going. I thanked him profusely and we went on with our day.

A few years went by and we settled into a normal pattern of life. Our habits were sensible and our marriage was a happy one. Our first child had arrived and my husband began to attend night school at U of M to earn an MBA.

Our sensible home life was displaced by study groups and late night term papers. Slowly, I began to take on more and more of life's daily decisions. My husband was busy with his schooling and working full time. My keeping an organized home was necessary to maintain order and allow Steve the time required to complete his studies. We lived in campus housing so I shared my time with other mothers in a similar situation. It was a difficult time but not totally unpleasant.

We began the MBA program with one six month old and left with three children under three. When the graduation day arrived a party was thrown for both of us and I received gifts as well. We both worked hard to allow Steve time to study and my efforts were recognized by our family and friends. We were just glad it was over and we could move on with our lives.

Steve accept a job with GMAC finace and I was pregnant with our fourth child. Kristin was fast approaching "school age". I was still in the habit of making family decisions. Unfortunately, that didn't change with graduation. I had read many books and attended a few conferences by this time so I was ready to begin homeschooling.

The early school years went very well. We also purchased our first home and the children seemed to be developing well. I now had five children seven and under and life was busy but fun. Gradually, as the years went on I noticed a few subtle changes in the children. My son, who was about 6, seemed to get a little angrier than normal. He seemed frustrated. But about what, I did not know.

I began to pray and ask God to show me the source of this change. And prayed that HE would provide a solution to "my son's problem". Little did I understand the impact that prayer would have on me and my family...........

........Part 2

No comments: