Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Parents and forgiveness

I have had a few e-mails in response to my post the The 3R's of Parenting. In particular the part where I encouraged parents to seek forgiveness when they are wrong. Here's what I said,

I knew I never wanted to only work on outward behavrior but leave the heart unchanged and shackled by guilt. Scriptures says, "If we confess our sin he is faithful and just to forgive our sin and cleanse us from all unrighteousness." I knew that no matter what, I wanted my children to understand that no matter how bad things became there would always hope in Christ if they repent. And the same is true for the parent. We will all make parenting mistakes but if we are willing to humble ourselves, the relationships with the Lord and those we love most, will be stronger.
To summarize the e-mails, they shared that they don't ever remember their parents apologizing while they were growing up. As I thought about my own childhood, I have to say, that there were not that many times I could remember my parents apologizing for something. Is our experience unique? And if your parents did seek forgiveness was it true of both mom and dad or just one. Lastly, is it happening in your family today?

No comments: