Monday, June 13, 2005

More Parents find Outsourcing an Option

Here's an interesting article where a parent isn't even afraid to admit that he wants others to parent his children for him.

For busy families, like the Plonskers, where both parents, Patricia and Jeff, work long hours, sending Joey, 17, and Pearl, 12, to etiquette school seemed a fast track to domestic order.

"I don't want to spend my time nitpicking them, but of course I won't let them throw rolls across the table," says Patricia Plonsker.

Or "shout with their mouth full or interrupt," says husband Jeff Plonsker. At dinnertime, even Fred the family dog, is expected to mind his manners.

"The only way for him to be with us is to know the rules," says Patricia Plonsker.

So the father is saying, I want my son to know how to behave properly I just don't want to take the time to teach him. So what are a father and mother for then? The article goes on to say,
But who teaches the rules may be as important as the rules themselves. And some experts in family relationships say parents today may be outsourcing too many lessons.
I similar words in my article Outsourcing Parenthood. Some parents got angry with me, saying it just wasn't true. But it seems that others see an opportunity to capitalize on their unwillingness to teach their own children.

No comments: