Saturday, June 25, 2005

Life From Their Perspective

Spunky Jr. had an interesting post the other day. She said,


Elaina is 1 ½ and I would guess that she’s only 3 feet tall and from my perspective (I’m 5’ 7”) I would never have guessed the way she looks at things. The counter top seemed like a giant and my 6ft, 14 year old brother (who’s still growing) seemed like the Empire State Building! Even my sister Katie (11) who’s barely 4’ 5” seemed tall.

I always knew that Elaina had to look up to see anything, but it was interesting to actually be at her level.

I would encourage you the next time your bend down to pick something up, pause for a moment and crawl into your siblings world for a few moments and learn a few
things!
I think this is great advice. Not just for siblings but for all of us. Too often, I view life from my perspective and that is not always the best vantage point. Crawling into our children's world give us a better understanding of who they are and what they are dealing with.

I remember when Kristin was younger, I found a piece of paper where she had written out a few of her thoughts. I don't remember them exactly, but they said something like this.
It's hard being a child sometimes. I want to do what is right but I find myself getting in trouble even when I didn't know it was wrong.
That was a very challenging note to read. Obviously, I had corrected my daughter without first giving her the knowledge necessary to do it correctly. Reading her perspective helped me to make sure that I would train her first before I corrected her. And that in the times when I failed to teach her that I would be humble enough not to be too hard on her for making a mistake.

Seeing issues from another perspective is difficult for me. I am a very black and white person. (Surprise! surprise!) But having children and learning to see life through their eyes has helped move me out of my self-centered world and have the servants heart I desire. Thankfully, Kristin is learning these lessons a little earlier in life than I did. I am sure she will be a much better mother for it.


No comments: