Monday, June 20, 2005

Homeschool Legal Defense Association (HSLDA)

Scott Sommerville, attorney for HSLDA, wrote a lengthy piece on the history of homeschooling. It is called The Politics of Survival: Homeschoolers and the Law.
Twenty years ago, home education was treated as a crime in almost every state. Today, it is legal all across America, despite strong and continued opposition from many within the educational establishment. How did this happen? This paper traces the legal and sociological history of the modern home school movement, and then suggests factors that led to this movement's remarkable success
The topic is very interesting to me and the paper is quite lengthy. I haven't had a chance to read through it all but thought I'd pass it along for your review as well. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to read it in a few days.

And while I'm on the subject of HSLDA, there was a comment posted on
Joanne Jacobs blog that got me thinking.
The egregious Homeschool Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) is the worst offender in this area. They pretend to speak for all homeschoolers, yet they espouse controversial views that many, many non-rightwingers disagree with.
I don't agree that they pretend to speak for all homeschoolers. They clearly do not. But they do have an authoritative voice in homeschooling and with the media. So my question is...Are you a member of HSLDA? Why or why not?

I'll wait to share my answer. (I don't want this discussion to be about my views at this point I'd just like to get a feel for what others are thinking.)

No comments: