Tuesday, June 07, 2005

The business of blogging

There was a time in my life when I didn't read blogs. Then came Hugh Hewitt and I became a daily reader during the run up to the election. When the election was over, did my blogging interest decline. Nooooo! I had to go and start one on my own. Shortly after, I discovered more homeschool bloggers like Anne in Hawaii and decided to have a convention. That was only 2 months ago but in the blogosphere that's an eternity. Blogging is a dyanmic changing environment. I enjoy it tremendously but the business of blogging is a whole 'nother matter.

I feel like the baker who likes to make bread. He bakes a some loaves and sells them to a few friends. They enjoy the flavor and order more. Soon he finds himself in the midst of a business he never thought he'd start. And with it comes opportunities to do things he never thought possible. The "work" of maintaining the bakery leaves little time to bake his bread. And the baking is what he really enjoys doing the most.

I love writing for my blog. I am thankful to God that HE has provided a forum to exchange ideas and share thoughts with one another. But the management of the "blog business" is more than I ever could have imagined. Sometimes, feel like I have 7 children not 6. Many opportunities have opened up that I would never have imagined 6 months ago. But I want to make sure that the "business of blogging" doesn't distract me from the joy of "writing my blog". Between blog rolls, e-mails, getting tagged, and commenting I could literally be at this all day long. But it has always been my goal to keep "first things first".

So today I am going to dedicate to the business side so that I can get some long neglected things done and then hopefully be freed up to concentrate on the fun part of blogging. Have a great day.

No comments: