Monday, May 23, 2005

Homeschool: Conviction or Preference (Part 3)

Last week I wrote on the topic of Homeschool: Conviction or Preference. Your comments have been very insightful and I appreciate them.

My
first post was whether home education was a conviction or a preference for you.
My
second, was about convictions and state requirements.

My final question is about the generations to come after us.

"Psalm 78:6-8 says,

6 That the generation to come might know, even the children yet to be born, That they may arise and tell them to their children, 7 That they should put their confidence in God, And not forget the works of God, But keep His commandments, 8 And not be like their fathers, A stubborn and rebellious generation, A generation that did not prepare its heart, and whose spirit was not faithful to God.
We are called to prepare the hearts of our children and to forget not the works of God. I believe the fact that we are able to homeschool is a work of God. Many countries do not allow home education under any circumstances. And as this scripture indicates we are to teach and prepare the next generation. We are to concern ourselves with passing on our convictions to our children and their children. Is that happening in your home? Carolyn M. wrote in the comments she made to a previous post about a trend she noticed among her children's friends.

When my oldest was a senior, I began asking her friends if they planned to homeschool their children. Most just blushed and admitted they had not even considered it. Some said emphatically NO, and only 1 voiced his conviction to marry a homeschooled girl and raise a homeschooling family -- he is now married to a girl who was not homeschooled and is not the "motherly" type, and I have no idea about their plans for the future.
My experience has been surprisingly similar. So my final question is "Are your children as convicted to homeschool theirs as you are?" Have they determined that they will homeschool their children despite any obstacles that may be put before them? I realize that many have children too small to have convictions about anything at this point so to ask it another way "How would you feel if your children put their children in the public schools?" Keep in mind I am not asking if they have that right. I believe they have the liberty to make that choice. But I am wondering more about how you would look upon your success in education and transferring your convictions to your children if that was the choice they made.

Update: Jaclyn and Jeremy have two very well thought out responses from the next generation of homeschoolers. Thanks to the Duchy of Carrots for helping move this discussion forward.

No comments: