Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Homeschool: Conviction or Preference?

My introduction into homeschooling began when I was 19 years old. I was a freshman at the U of Michigan at the time and I was disillusioned with the education I had received. I graduated in the top ten percent of my class from an "excellenet" school and yet I felt I was poorly educated. I had never read a "great book" and my understanding of both US and World History was pathetic. I did excell at math and to my schools credit I did have calculus. But I knew I wanted something better for my children.

I had just become a Christian and began attending a church in the area. There were alot of young families and many were homeschooling. As I became acquainted with the families I was more and more convinced that homeschooling was an option that I would strongly consider when I had a family. So initially my decision was based alot on academics. But as I began to grow in my faith and study the bible I learned that I did not want my children to have only knowledge but to have wisdom. Slowly, my initial preference to homeschool turned into a conviction. I am to the point now where I would not consider giving up homeschooling any more than I would consider divorcing my husband.

How about for you? Is homeschooling a conviction or a preference? Has it changed over time? I'm curious to know because I think it is having an impact on homeschooling is being viewed by others. This shift might be having an impact in certain legislative actions that are being considered in various states. You can comment anonymously if you would like. But I am very interested in what you think about this.

Here's a great perspective from new blogger Kara that's worth a read.

No comments: